Saturday, January 22, 2011

Behind every successful man is a woman

This was proven true when I was tasked by my running club (CERC) to head the SRP tunnel water station. I did not have A woman behind my success. I had FOUR.

(Tara Rama)
(Me with Jo Cua and Jo Osorio)
(Irene Vildosola)

If it weren’t for these lovely and energetic ladies I would have failed in making the SRP tunnel a memorable and exciting aid station. Each CERC member was assigned one water station along the SRP while Steve Ferraren (my marathon running idol) was our over all head for the SRP stations. Dr. Alex Junia, Dr. John Aranas, Bro. Carlo Bacalla, Steve Ferraren and I were given a limited budget to supply entertainment and aid to all runners at the SRP stations. Last year, we were grouped in pairs. I was with Dr.Alex Junia during the 2010 CCM and assigned at KM 32 in front of the Grand Convention Center. This year, the SRP route was extended to include the tunnel while the Grand Con and Mabolo stations were discontinued. Luckily, Bro. Carlo was able to supply all SRP stations with at least 10 volunteers per station. How can I and 10 other volunteers / marshals prepare water and 100 plus drinks in glasses, slice bananas, direct runners to use the right lane and help runners get their fluids? I needed help.

I posted in my facebook page that I needed volunteers for the race and in less than a week, I had four replies (from my much loved UNGO Runners). Four gorgeous gals, willing to help all runners make their marathon dreams a reality, agreed to help me serve more than 2,500 Full and half-marathon runners.

I was at the SRP tunnel entrance at 10pm the night before race day to help Steve and Bro. Carlo close the SRP route. Participants start their day at 2am race day while organizers and marshals start our preparations earlier. Summit water and 100 Plus drinks were delivered. Tables, a barrel and 2 ice buckets filled with Ice, Route markers, sound systems and our motivational signs followed. Jo Cua was with me when all my supplies were delivered. She checked the SRP tunnel route by running the 1KM stretch at least 2x to make sure the route was “runnable”. After a few hours, an energetic Jo Osorio arrived. She was brought to the tunnel by husband and (now) Marathoner Dr. Orlando Osorio before he heads to the starting line at IT park to warm-up for his 42K race. Jo was also kind enough to bring a long piece of white table cloth that was supposed to be used to make our water station more presentable. She double checked my supplies and said “Doc, you should have told me that we only had this much banana, I would have brought more.” Thinking about her her husband and all runners when she said it. Then Irene Vildosola arrived. She brought a CD full of dance and Hip Hop music so runners can enjoy the tunnel more. Last to arrive was my pretty and tall cousin "soon-to-be-Ungo Runner" Tara Rama. When all of us were complete, we started to prepare our water, 100 plus drinks and bananas while our marshals started checking the tunnel route. In less than 2 hours, our first "customers" arrived. It was our 42K Lead pack runners. After that was a blur. We were so busy. We refilled water. We gave out bananas and bread. We massaged aching legs. We sprayed cold water to all our runners. We also forgot a few things. We  forgot to eat. We forgot to drink. And forgot to sit down. Near 10am, our legs were more sore than the runners. We were more dehydrated than the runners. We were more hungry than all the other race participants. That was our Sacrifice. 
(waiting for the next wave of runners)
(Dancing while preparing the refreshments)
(REFILL!!! Hurry!!! Here they come!!!)
(After 5 hours from the start of the race, liniments are as vital as water)
(Marshals and the SRP Security Guard helped to refill our supplies)

Thank you very much Jo, Tara, Jo and Irene. Your help is very my appreciated. We made the SRP tunnel station a memorable part of the race.

14 comments:

  1. for me its the most memorable, we were dancing.... wala ang kapoy. thanks for the water, the 100Plus and the music.... YEAH! - Harley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't ask for more...thanks u guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys. It made my first marathon memorable and one for the books..

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you doc, I also enjoyed doing the service.....-Irene

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you to you cuz and your angels! made that tunnel run all the more exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. truely a feat to remember... Seeing familiar faces in aid/water stations gave us a feeling of comfort and relief... Job well done guys.. thank you..

    ReplyDelete
  7. doc! salamat kaau ha. salamat sa inyong motivation and tabang sa SRP.

    you guys made that tunnel very unforgettable..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oww... Kuya. So sweet of you to thank us this way! =) Thank you pud kaayo, ikaw baya among leader! hehehehe good leader = good followers! - Tara Rama

    ReplyDelete
  9. passing through the tunnel was something everyone look forward to and it was made more FUN with you and your team ...thanks for the water, the spritz, and the cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. manoy! salamat sa encouragement ug sa pandesal!hehe! ug sa omega pd!

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice post! Irene....beautiful lady inside and out. It's nice to know that she's not only running actively but able to support fellow runner as well. Very big heart! Congrats to you reel running and the ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post Raymund. Without the volunteers, any race wouldn't be a success. I volunteer at local races here in SF three to four times a year. Congratulations to the four ladies on a great job. I know the runners appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S. - Raymund, feel free to add me to your bloglist if you like! Please take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this was the best section of the CCM run for me.. music blaring, beats banging only to be magnified by the closed space..

    ReplyDelete

REEL RUNNING FANS

I AM REEL RUNNER

My photo
Call / Text / Email: (0922)826-6865 docreelbontol@gmail.com