Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Runner's Most Memorable Moment


All runners have their own precious memorable running moment. It may happen during training or racing or any other running related activity. The moment so special that you can’t help but smile every time you think about it.
(CERC and GUARDO runners before the race)
Mine. It was during the MILO 33rd Manila Eliminations last year when something unexpected happened. Not when I crossed the finish line under 5 hours. Not when they donned me a finisher’s medal. Not when fellow CERC members cheered when we crossed the finish line. It was while I was charging my last 7K that I felt a unique feeling of happiness with running.
(Kenneth my Pacer with new runner friends)
The 33rd MILO Marathon Manila Eliminations was my first full marathon and I was paced by fellow CERC member Kenneth Casquejo. His legs started to sore after 20K thus he let me run ahead and maintain pace. I was running comfortably until KM 32 when fatigue set in. My legs felt sore and heavy. My breathing labored. A lot of times I wanted to quit. But I didn’t. I held on. I kept reminding myself that I am a Cebuano running a marathon in Manila and that I should at least finish the race so as not let my friends down. As I was nearing the last turn to Roxas Boulevard, I saw an Aid station packed with happy and vibrant marshals. As I passed by the station they sprayed me with cool water and shouted “YOUR ALMOST THERE!!! KAYA MO YAN!!!” That totally liven me up. I smiled as I passed them not expressing that deep inside I wanted to cry. Not for pain. But for gratitude. Their support helped push me to the last few kilometers of the race.
(Finish Line with Ronald and Dr.Alex Junia)
What is your most memorable running moment? Please share.

(Cebu Executive Runners Club)

11 comments:

  1. My memorable running moment.... DYAB Kapamilya Run in 2008... My Fastest 10K Run EVER @ 47:21 :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing the FINISH LINE at my first 3K in GLLR this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs and kisses from my wife at the Finish line on my 1st International 42k race in Standard chartered Singapore marathon 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I turned my last corner of the 2010 Cebu Marathon, and saw the finish line. The feeling of being able to push myself to the limit despite aching feet and legs...that was definitely my moment...

    ReplyDelete
  5. at the last 100m stretch of the 34th Milo Marathon Manila Elims... I kept telling myself "don't collapse, don't collapse", and when I heard that last beep of the time chip, I just lost it completely... I just stood there with a blank stare... I couldn't believe I endured 42.195K, heck I didn't even know who handed me my finisher's medal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. mine was runrio2 when I finished 21k in 2:18 ---my best time so far. I felt really great when I crossed the line since I trained so hard for a sub 2:20 time. sarap ng pakiramdam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello! nonoy721 from iloilo city, like to know who is runner 702? We met in HK an we met again last july 4 in manila, I forgot to introduce myself and ask his name. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. mine would be first 10K! I was the third to the last finisher in the Rock and Run last Aug. 2009. I never thought I could survive such ordeal for someone who;s longest race so far was 6K. I am proud because I did not manage to walk the entire stretch. When I crossed the finish line, I was bear-hugged by my parents!

    ReplyDelete
  10. To see my wife and daughter at km 30 walking and my daughter kissing me and saying "Daddy why are you not running?" The made me finish the 2010 Cebu Marathon 42K running. Its was the penultimate reward for the months that I and fellow team members sacrificed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reaching the finish line of the CDU 10k run last Aug. 15, I just started serious running 2nd week of May then was injured for 2 weeks, my first race was a 5k in the Planet Sports Run, then the Energizer Night Run (5K), Run for Kids (6K).I finished the 10K in 52 minutes in my first try.I am 43 years old and I am planning to have my first 21k in the Cebu Marathon.

    ReplyDelete

REEL RUNNING FANS

I AM REEL RUNNER

My photo
Call / Text / Email: (0922)826-6865 docreelbontol@gmail.com