Monday, June 6, 2011

Priorities. Which is more important?


The Athlete in me screams “Cobra Ironman 70.3 Philippines!” while the Doctor in me whispers “Diplomate Exam”. I have laid off triathlon training for 2 purposes: (1) to let my bum right knee heal from Pes Anserine Bursitis and (2) to prepare for my Diplomate Exam. My weight has been fluctuating for weeks since I finished the Aviva Ironman 70.3 Singapore last March. With no target races planned until December, I have been doing minimal run training of only 15-20K a week. My bike training is as unpredictable as the wind. Swimming is always a joy since I can just hang out at the pool (and not swim) and call it an easy swim. My team mates from Team Reborn are starting to get used to me skipping team workouts. “I am in recovery” I explained. “A Loooooong Recovery”.
A few months back, I joined this contest I saw in Facebook where the winner will be given a free 2011 Cobra Ironman 70.3 Philippines registration and represent their product in the event. The company was looking for health enthusiasts who can write/ blog about the things they do when they train. Naturally, I joined. I submitted a couple of articles I composed before, during and after the last Cobra Ironman. I have never won anything my entire life and do not expect this to be my first time. I wanted to win but I was more realistic. So many filipino bloggers. So many runners. Very slim chance.
Then the unexpected happens. Last May 25, I got an email from the Contest with a subject that caused my heart to beat 3 times faster. It said in bold letters, “Congratulations! You are our Gatorade Ironman!” Yup. That’s right. GATORADE! I was ecstatic! But confused at the same time. This is the first time I won in any contest ever but I can’t accept the prize. I hurried to the gym (where my team mates are training) and asked for advice from my mates. All of them were happy but most of them replied “There is always a next time”. All of them reminded me to stick to my priorities.
With much hesitation, I replied to the Gatorade Email. I started my letter with a big “Thank you” and ended with a sad “No. I am very sorry but I can’t join this year’s race.” I have to be honest and explain to them that I have to take my scheduled exams on that month and I need to prepare. As much as I wanted to, I can’t accept the prize. Some other fellow may be wanting and deserving of the prize than me. I also mentioned in my reply that maybe they can extend to me their support when I join the 2012 Cobra Ironman Philippines. 
Happy and yet sad at the same time, I need to stick to my priorities. There will always be another race. I hope my good fortune will bring me favorable results during my upcoming certifying exams. I will need it.

1 comment:

REEL RUNNING FANS

I AM REEL RUNNER

My photo
Call / Text / Email: (0922)826-6865 docreelbontol@gmail.com