Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Best WARM-UP and COOL DOWN Exercises


I have been a gym addict since High School. I've followed many programs for weight gaining and some for weight reduction. This time, my program focus more on the over all body conditioning and core training to help me improve my running form and start a triathlon training program.

I used to warm up with static stretches before each session and end with the same routine. I must admit they have become boring and my body had adapted to the routine. I tried using the treadmill to warm-up but easily got bored. Then a consultant taught me the MedBall Core Exercises (Click on the link to see the video).

MedBall Core Exercises are done using a Medicine Ball for 3 sets with no rest in between exercises and brief rests in between sets. Halfway through the first set REEL RUNNER is already sweating buckets. A series of 10 different exercises performed in a closed area (preferably inside a gym with a mat) using a medicine ball (weight: enough to complete the entire routine), it starts with explosive exercises using the arms with focus on keeping the trunk stable and firm. Done one after another, these exercises should be performed with proper form to prevent injuries. After this routine, I proceed with static stretches then start my progressive resistance training program (PRT).

At the end of my gym session, I do plank exercises instead of my usual AB exercises to target the entire trunk / core muscles. As explained by Coach Jim Saret (Coach to Elite Filipino Athletes), core exercises should be part of any fitness exercise program. Instead of just hitting the anterior AB muscles, these CORE exercises target the trunk including the lateral oblique and back muscles. I like these exercises better because they do not strain your neck or lower back and are done in less time than AB exercises hitting all the important core muscles at the same time.

Plank Exercises. These core exercises are called as such because the goal is to maintain the plank position for a certain time while keeping your abs/ tummy tucked in. These exercises put less strain in your neck when performed correctly and are suitable for all fitness levels (from Beginners to Advanced). Variations may be done with every position to continuously strain or target your core muscles.

(Plank)
(Side Plank)
After doing Planks I do brief static stretches then off to the shower. Try them out.

For advanced runners. You may want to try these exercises to strengthen your core. 
Visit: http://mattfitzgerald.org/article.php?id=15

7 comments:

  1. sir, how heavy the medicine ball should be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comment...

    I am using a 10 lbs ball... if your core is still not strong enough, i suggest using the lighter ball first (maybe 6-8 lbs) then if you think its easy to complete 10-12 reps per exercise per set then maybe increase your rep count to 15 first before increasing ball weight...

    Good luck.... ITs really hard if you do it correctly... suck your abs during the entire time or tighten your core...

    I get CORE pumped everytime I use it!!! Guaranteed!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the piece of advice doc! :D will try it soon! i hope there is a video in youtube so i can also have the video stored in my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JCA is still making another high quality video... I will ask him if youtube will be ok...

    Try It...you won't regret it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. sir, i tried the Medball CORE exercise, it is very effective. and it helps me really target some of the parts that needs another exercise just to be improved. It is like a all in one exercise. thanks! :) though i am really having difficulty when doing the push ups. haha! i know i will get better. :D thanks doc!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes you will... do you have the ball already? In case your friends are interested... I already canvassed medballs and the ones in RUNNR ayala are the cheapest... Cool colors too...

    Thanks... Enjoy the workout!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will try this tomorrow in the gym. Thanks Reel.

    ReplyDelete

REEL RUNNING FANS

I AM REEL RUNNER

My photo
Call / Text / Email: (0922)826-6865 docreelbontol@gmail.com