Friday, January 29, 2010

Is my Timex watch enough? My Garmin/ Polar/ Suunto Review



I am an Ironman Timex watch fan. I wear it when I swim in the beach or in the pool. I wear it when I go on diving trips and when I am not at work. These watches are so durable I wish mine would break so I can a buy new one. 

When I run, I use it together with my Nike+ sportband to record training duration and sometimes split times. After about 6 months of joining races, I decided that I was ready for the Milo 21K Cebu eliminations last 2008. A few weeks before the event, I bought my Suunto T3 to help me achieve my goal. It came with a heart rate monitor to take note of training zones I did not know how to use. The T3 guide explained on training using heart rate zones to improve performance. I read it but can't seem to train using it. So I used my Suunto T3 hear rate monitor during the race same as my Timex Ironman watch except with with a heart rate reading at the center. I reminded myself that I must not go beyond a heart rate of 190 bpm to be able to complete the 21K. Since then, I use my Suunto during races only. One year passed and I decided that I wanted to improve my speed/ pace so I ordered a footpod for my Suunto. I can now take note of my pace and distance together with my heart rate when using it. After awhile, the hear rate belt across my chest no longer felt as comfortable as before so I ditched it during races and only use my footpod instead. I now record and monitor my pace during runs and plan split times for long distance races. My Suunto T3 has been with me for more than 2 years now and has never let me down. Friends (running addicts like me) say I should get a Garmin or Polar Wrist top computer instead to make use of GPS technology but I declined.
(Suunto T3)

(Polar RS400)

(Garmin 305)

(Timex Ironman)

Running nowadays have been a fad among simple and the not so simple people. Some prefer to run by heart and let their feet guide them while some prefer to be technical runners. But when do we really need Wrist top computers? Do we need Function or Form? You decide.
(Click to enlarge)
If your training needs heart rate zones, pace and distance measurements then you need any of these wrist top computers. If you run with friends for fun, your Timex watch will suffice.

6 comments:

  1. Garmin is opening a store in Manila. I read it at TBR blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS JF... I guess we will be having a service center for Garmin after all...thanks for the Heads up bay...

    Good luck at Condura... Can you give me a pic of all cebu delegates so I can Acknowledge all of you? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. TIMEX has a model with HRM only or HRM+GPS. The advantage of TIMEX among the other brand is that you have a separate unit for the GPS. Making the watch wearable as a day to day watch. =D

    I have a Garmin though. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ROD, Garmin plug? Shuddderrrr. :P Hey Doc, I have a 305 and it has pretty much everything I need. The supply and demand curve has lowered the price to the point that it ain't that exorbitant anymore either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everybody for your comments....

    Yes... Garmin 305 has definitely reduced its price since it came out.

    Also, Suunto, Polar and garmin have models with peripherals that have pedometer and GPS features however Suunto do not have internal GPS models... For triathletes, Suunto has Triathlete set with HR belt and Bike unit...

    Good luck everybody in Condura...Wish I could run with you... Next time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sir's, I just recently involved myself in joining fun run and I want to purchase a Garmin 305, but is quite hard to find one nowadays. where do you think i could buy one? Im from Cebu.
    Thanks for your reply.

    ReplyDelete

REEL RUNNING FANS

I AM REEL RUNNER

My photo
Call / Text / Email: (0922)826-6865 docreelbontol@gmail.com