Monday, March 1, 2010

Dr. Alex Junia is my MOST INFLUENTIAL RUNNER


How do you persuade others to run? 

I was not always a runner. I was a gym rat since high school and used to ride my mountainbike to Busay. I play many sports (except Basketball) but am not a master in one. I also have lots of hobbies. But I never imagined myself running a marathon. 

I was unfamiliar with the running scene in Cebu City until one person infected me with the virus, the Running Virus. It was February 2008 when I was just promoted to 2nd year resident in my Internal Medicine Specialty Training. I was really unhealthy during my first year of training since after work only 2 things come into your brain, Bed and Sleep. I also ate my meals before going to bed so I gained weight. When my schedule permitted, I then enrolled in a local gym and started to recondition my body. I was 2 months into PRT training when a friend and consultant asked if I wanted to join a local fun run he was organizing. I used the treadmill at the gym for warm-up but only up to 10-15 minutes per session. Back then, Fun runs were held once a month or less. I was supposed to run a shorter distance but was forced to run the full 10K after hearing the line... "If I can do it with this body so can you." YES, that is what he said. Dr. Alex Junia, Cardiologist, ignited my passion for running.
(33rd MILO Marathon)
He does not look like the regular runner. He frequently jokes "I am in shape, Round is a shape."  He drinks brewed coffee early in the morning to perk him up and likes to eat. He is not on any diet. He is not conscious about his figure. 
 (2nd Rotary Run - Pre-Hong Kong Marathon)
He may not look like any regular runner but never underestimate his determination to run. Dr. Alex Junia has successfully completed 5 full marathons including the recent 2010 Hong Kong Marathon. He never runs to compete and, instead, runs at his own pace. He may look like a slow and heavy runner but Dr. Alex is light on his feet. His 42K finish time improved from more than 6 hours during the Singapore marathon to 5 hours and 18 minutes in the last Hong Kong marathon. Not Bad? You Bet!
(Wearing the Physician Runners of Cebu Singlet)
Just like any other running Doctor, Dr. Alex runs for his health. Despite his figure, he has never experienced the agony of any running injury. Never! Sales attendants at running stores often ask him several times if he really runs. He enjoys watching the faces of surprised friends after learning that he had finished two Singapore Marathons, the 33rd MILO Marathon, the Subic International Marathon and the Hong Kong Marathon.
(with Dr. Dennis Entera, ME and Dr. John Clifford Aranas)
If you see Dr. Alex Junia on the road do not try and outrun him. Instead, run by his side and ask him how he finished all 5 marathons. You will truly enjoy the conversation and finish the run inspired and ready to take on the full marathon. Be one of the many runners influenced and challenged by Dr. Alex Junia. Congratulations Doc!!!

3 comments:

  1. i love dr. j! he's cuuuute and way too funny! yup, ayaw pailad sa iyang huggable figure, kay marathoner na!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add me to the list. I've been running for several years but never considered endurance running. I just did it as part of my cardio workout, and to attempt to defy the effects of gravity and time. It was my dear friend Alex who encouraged and challenged me to go the distance. He is a testimony of what one must possess to be a runner. It's not the physique but the motivation and the persistence of an ant. For Alex, it death before DNF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mga docs, hinay2x baya basin mag-agoroy mo sa arthritis sa katigulangon LOL. iyas

    ReplyDelete

REEL RUNNING FANS

I AM REEL RUNNER

My photo
Call / Text / Email: (0922)826-6865 docreelbontol@gmail.com