Monday, May 31, 2010

REEL TRIATHLON Begins


I am a runner. I started running after Dr. Alex Junia challenged me to run 10K with him. I will never forget his words of encouragement, "If I can do it with this body, So can you." He is a happy runner who inspires people by telling him his stories of finishing at least 5 full marathons with an overweight physique. I accepted his challenge and finished the 10K with him. I never thought finishing a 10K run would make me feel elated.
 (STC Run)
I thought it was just for running. But then I experienced the same emotions after I finished my first triathlon event.

 (With runner Awi Saavedra at the Transition Area)
I was blessed. I met friends who inspired me to follow my dream. Since college, I have always been fascinated by triathletes competing in the Ironman. It was a feat not easily accomplished. Anybody can run a distance but not everybody can swim then bike and run in one event. It entails discipline, determination and patience. Training  for one sport is hard enough let alone three.
(With Arland, Lhoriz, Noy and RUNNR Staff)
Everything fell into place as if God wants me to fulfill my dream. I met Filipino Elite Ironman Champion Noy Jopson and another Filipino Elite Arland Macasieb in one of the local running races in Cebu. We talked about a different race which Noy was directing and eventually talked about the triathlon. I then disclosed to Noy about my dream. They then convinced me that if I do not drown when I swim in the pool then I can more likely finish a triathlon if I train for it. Eureka!!! I will become a triathlete.
(Start of Swim during the SPEEDO event with Tyrone, Noy, Oli, Joseph and Redg)
But where do I start? I asked Arland for advise and told me to get a swim coach as swimming is the most technical part of triathlon. And so I did. Noy Jopson taught me how to swim efficiently and gave me swimming drills. Improve my form was the goal and slowly build endurance. I also got swimming tips from the swim instructor at Holiday Gym, James. When he is not busy teaching beginners to swim, he tells me what I need to work on during the swim phase of the triathlon. Although I have been swimming since childhood, I owe my swimming endurance to Noy and James.  
(Lunch with the crew at Tavern)
(Bike Transition with Aubrey)
Noy not only teaches me swimming skills but also gives me cycling lessons. He tells me to maximize my leg muscles and distribute the work to all major leg muscle groups. Spinning is key to triathlon cycling as this saves you enough leg power for the running phase.
(Awarding Ceremony)
(With Endurance man Brother Carlo Bacalla)
(With Awi, Noy and Redg at the Finishline)

After 6 weeks training, I joined the SPEEDO National Age group Sprint Triathlon in Plantation Bay. I was so excited and anxious that I slept only 3 hours the night prior to the race. We assembled at 6AM and prepared all our gear. After 2 hours and 11 mins, I crossed the finish line. I was ecstatic. I finished 3rd among all the other participants in my age group and landed me a podium finish. I remember Noy's cousin Redg telling me the day before the race "Just finish the race. A podium finish is just a bonus. Just finish the race". And so I did. I had help. Lots of help. From coaches Noy and James. From triathlete friends and family Redg, Oli, Eric, Amale, Gette, Cookie and Andrea. From Rafa, Pia and Mikele who are so adorable. From Jo who inspires me to train. And to God who provides all the opportunities for me to fulfill my dream. 
(My 3rd Place 30-34 Age Group Medal)
(Support)
(With Jo at Transition Area)
This coming August 22, I and many Cebuanos are going to participate in this year's Cobra Ironman 70.3 event in Camarines Sur. Good Luck to us all. Defend your title Noy!
(Noy Jopson, 1st Filipino Elite Philippine Ironman 70.3 Champion)

6 comments:

  1. Hello Doc,

    Good luck on your Ironman 70.3 quest!

    Ray Abenojar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doc.

    now its ur turn to inspire others. you have prepared your heart and soul for this event. your hardwork will definitely reward you.

    Boying always talk about you sa office and share your experieces. and I share some of your stories to other runners when i follow your blog. and yes we are inspired too!

    so thank you. and we will pray for your success!

    Goodluck and Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great! , i hope to fulfill mine soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. very inspiring... finishing an IM is also on my bucket list... good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello,

    all the best sa imong training for 70.3
    I hope nag cge na ka ug brick (Bike-Run).

    triblues

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dream too! Very inspiring. I'm getting my bike soon. looking forward to 2012 ironman 70.3!

    ReplyDelete

REEL RUNNING FANS

I AM REEL RUNNER

My photo
Call / Text / Email: (0922)826-6865 docreelbontol@gmail.com