Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My 21K Experience and The 2nd Great Lapu-Lapu Run


I love 21K races. Nothing humbles a runner better than a half, full and an ultra marathon. Running more than 10-16K needs patience, diligence and determination. 

I ran my first half marathon 6 months after I started running when I joined the 32nd MILO Marathon Cebu Eliminations. I ran the same 21K MILO CEBU route and finished in 2 hours and 13 minutes. We had no power gels, sports beans or gatorade then. All we had was water and the scorching heat of the sun. It was a painful 21K. I chafed between my thighs and I could not walk comfortably after the run. I had agonizing knee and hip pains after long runs.
Five months after my first 21K Race, I broke my PR during the 2009 Sinulog Half-Marathon when I crossed the finish line after 2 hours and 6 minutes. I was elated. I was running 30-40 Km/week and was regularly strength training in the gym. But I still had knee and hip pains after the race. It was becoming a routine for me to put Ice on my knees and thighs after long runs (as suggested by Kap. Joel Garganera) and wear compression sleeves or supports for days. I love running so much that I tolerated the pain thinking everybody had it after runs.
After constant persuasion by Dr. Alex Junia, I was convinced to run my first full marathon during the 33rd MILO Marathon Manila Eliminations with other CERC members last July 2009. I slowly increased my mileage from 30-40 km/week to 60-70 km/week and lost weight. I finished my first full Mary in 4 hours 55 minutes despite my knee and leg pains .
Three weeks after my first full mary, I joined the 1st Great Lapu-Lapu Run and broke my 21K PR again. As part of my recovery, I ran the scenic route in 1 hour 50 minutes and enjoyed the slight drizzle that cooled every runner's body. The race ended at the new but not fully finished HoopsDome in Lapu-Lapu City. A few hundred meters from the finish line, I was paced by my friend Jojo Canete who noticed I was starting to tire down. He reminded me that the finish line was only a few meters away and that I still have enough leg power for a strong finish. Yes I did. And because my legs had enough mileage and experience, they no longer hurt as much.

It was not until I ran and trained with Charlie Berberio that I noticed I no longer had knee and leg pains after runs. He taught me speed and strengthening drills that helped me significantly in my runs. He explained that the drills will help me correct my running form and help increase my speed. It changed my foot strike from a heelstriker to a midfoot runner. My experiences with running changed since then. Pain was no longer a problem.
I then joined the 2nd Great Lapu-Lapu Run held last April 18, 2010. I wanted to break PR of 1:50 but constantly thought of doing a sub-1:40. Can I do it? Only with a ton of Luck. The route was fairly flat except for the scenic Marcelo-Fernan Bridge which took us to Mandaue City. I was running only 20-30 Km/week because I had just recently started training for the Ironman triathlon and I needed base endurance for the swim and bike leg. My usual pace for the 10-16K is 4:40-50 and I want to try running the half marathon with the same pace. I was overconfident. I planned to run slow and controlled the first half of the race using a negative split. I ran 5:00/KM until KM 1 and increased pace by 10 seconds every KM thereafter until I reached 4:20/KM speed. I maintained this until I reached the foot of the Marcelo-Fernan Bridge where I ascended at 4:50-5:00/KM. I felt great. Forward arm swing, lean forward more, and smaller steps helped me climb the bridge with lesser effort than usual (Thanks to CHIRunning Coach Lit). I recovered as I descended the bridge with greater speed and lesser energy expenditure. I have to commend the organizers for providing thirsty runners with ample water supply and Gatorade. I maintained a 4:40 pace after the bridge to prepare for my next interval but noticed that my legs felt heavy. I was breathing comfortably but my legs lacked power. Low mileage and lack of runs finally made its toll. I still ran. It was at KM 15 when I decided to take walking breaks. I walked to conserve enough power for the final kilometer and to allow my legs to recover. Walking breaks strategy was discussed by Veteran UltraRunner Jonel Mendoza during one of our Ungo Friday Night Runs and decided to give it a try. I walked at water stations and in shady areas to cool down. It was during my final approach to the finish line when I felt really exhausted and if it weren't for friends like Elvin Rey Flores and Awi Saavedra who paced me during my final approach I would not have made a strong Finish. I crossed the finish line 1 hour 45 minutes 27 seconds after the 21K race started. I broke my PR!!! I did it even with low mileage and cross training. My next Half-Marathon will be part of the 70.3 Ironman Philippines this coming August. I'm sure that I won't be breaking my 21K PR then after swimming 1.7 KM and cycling 90 KM. I can do it. I will do it.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Tucayo!


    Congrats on your 21k PR!!!

    Good luck on your Ironman 70.3 quest in CamSur


    Raymund Abenojar

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am follower of your blogs.. I just want to know how to strengthen my legs without going to the gym.. i have had this nagging pain in my knee when i run.. i Hope you can give me some tips..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi... I do not strengthen my legs at the gym... I have strengthening drills during runs... Interval runs... My knee pains resolved after I practiced midfoot running... thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doc, lakas ng HM ah :P Ibang level ka na! Wohoo! Congrats bud, very nice! Next time 1:40 na! Awesome job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hihihi! Nice Pic!!!! Wheeee!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the tips.. I have practiced what you have recommended, and so far it has worked wonders for me.. ran a little over 15km yesterday without pain, except for some occasional sore of my calves...besides that, I am confident i can run longer if doing it right..

    ReplyDelete

REEL RUNNING FANS

I AM REEL RUNNER

My photo
Call / Text / Email: (0922)826-6865 docreelbontol@gmail.com