Monday, February 6, 2012

What was the first thing you did during the 6.9 Earthquake?



A strong earthquake hit Cebu and Negros today. 


I was in SM City Cebu when it happened. I was looking for an item in ACE Hardware when the displays suddenly shook. I stood still and concluded that it was an earthquake. Walking slowly towards the exit, I was shocked to see a few people dashing towards the door. We stood outside the mall for a few minutes and when it was all calm. I walk calmly back inside. 


After a few minutes, SM announced that everybody should vacate the mall in a calm fashion. I went up the 4th floor to get my car and drove out as relaxed as I can. 

On my way home, I got a text message saying colon is flooded. I turned on my PC when I got home and checked Facebook for any updates. I was surprised to see flooding of false information. People were saying tsunami has struck Cebu and people were running for their lives along the busy streets causing traffic jams inside the City.

I, on the other hand, prepared for the worst. I packed some stuff inside a small bag, which included some clothes, flashlights and my wallet, and placed it near the door. Knowing that there was a tsunami warning and that we are living near the shoreline, I went down and transferred Lara and Aubrey from our basement to our living room on a higher floor. My mother laughed when she saw me carry my bikes up the stairs.

As I write this article, the tsunami warning has been lifted and we are still experiencing continuous aftershocks which are slightly of lesser intensity than the first event.

2 comments:

  1. i would also save my precious stuff (which includes the bike hahaha)

    seriously, i pray for safety for all our brethren in the visayas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raymund, you handled it so well. Unfortunately in situations like you were in, there will always be fabrication of stories.

    Living close to a fault line in San Francisco, I remember so well the earthquake of 1989 which was a 6.9/7.0. I was at the World Series when it happened. It took me nearly two hours (normally a 25 minute ride because of the traffic). We were without power for two days but was well prepared with flashlights, batteries and enough food and water for about a week.

    Hope everything's well with you guys and still am praying for the safety! Take care my friend!

    Wayne
    now at http://fcrunner.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

REEL RUNNING FANS

I AM REEL RUNNER

My photo
Call / Text / Email: (0922)826-6865 docreelbontol@gmail.com