Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Choosing your road bike handlebars? Carbon or Aluminum?


From Velonews by Lennard Zinn


Points to consider:

1. Cost. Carbon bars are 3x more expensive than aluminum bars.
2. Bar Length. Stiffness of a handlebar depends more on the length of the bar rather than the material used. The longer the more flexible.
3.  Handlebar Vibration. Carbon bars flex and dampen vibration better than aluminum.
4. Rider weight. Heavier riders fair better with stiffer bars. Light riders may benefit from flexible bars.
5. Sprint-friendly. Stiffer bars are better for sprinting. Riders who rarely pull on the bars may want to use lighter bars.
Conclusion: Money, weight, and riding style dictate which handlebars to use. As for me, My wallet says Aluminum.

2 comments:

  1. Lucrative belonging does not guarantee safety. I worked abroad for years as an educator and swimming coach, I do triathlons there for fun and I help some multi-sports athletes with their swim. One Sunday after descending a 32km uphill in the north of Thailand, this American whom I go biking with happened to be working in the American consulate, fell off the bike because the handle bar snap. Guess how much it cost him for a branded carbon tt handle bar, about 600US. Actual weight is 560g top of the line brand. Ever imagine how my friend looked like, worst than the broken handlebars. Even if I win lotto, I’ll go with alloy.

    ReplyDelete

REEL RUNNING FANS

I AM REEL RUNNER

My photo
Call / Text / Email: (0922)826-6865 docreelbontol@gmail.com