Saturday, May 21, 2011

I dream of a Better and Safer Cebu... by Tara Rama


If you ran the 2011 Cebu City Marathon and passed thru the SRP tunnel chances are you were given aid by a tall and pretty lady. She handed out water and food to weary runners while casting a mesmerizing smile to help runners finish the grueling race. She dreams of becoming a marathoner as well. This beauty queen is Tara Rama. She is a laywer and runner blessed with good genes (Ahem… Cousin Tara?). Apart from her personal desires, she also dreams of a better Philippines. She is part of a campaign to make our city streets safe and runner/cyclist friendly. This is her Story:

(Tara and Me at the SRP Tunnel during the 2011 CCM)

        It was the summer vacation of 2007 when I first met Atty. Antonio Oposa, Jr.  He spoke about how rich our Visayan sea is and what the people have done to destroy it. I was one of his many audience. Back then I was carefree, uninformed and unconcerned. 
After Atty. Oposa’s presentation, Atty. Gloria Estenzo–Ramos spoke. “Who should be in the frontline in protecting our environment?” “It should be the youth” she said, “this is their future at stake.”
That statement made me realize that I needed to do something. I may be young, I may be the only one, but at least in this lifetime I did something to make a difference. I don’t want to go on with my life doing nothing for the environment. My desire is that by the time I’ll face my Creator, I can boldly say to Him, “Father, I did my best to be a good steward of your creation.”
How can I help? I asked myself. Then I thought, I’ll volunteer! The rest is history.
I am currently involved with a project called Road Revolution. It is a campaign that urges our government, thru citizens’ effort, to initiate and implement concrete solutions to our current fuel, transportation, traffic, safety and pollution problems.
Now is the time to change our mindset, from our present bias for individualized transportation system to favor more eco-friendly and energy-efficient commuting systems such as bicycling and the use of an indigenous human-powered rail car. Road Revolution envisions wide and improved sidewalks safe for children, the elderly, pregnant women and people with disabilities; dedicated lanes for those who prefer to use bicycles; a rail system in major roads and planters for “umbrella trees” and vegetables.
For Road Revolution to be a reality, we shall make use of local initiative.  This is the legal process provided by the Local Government Code whereby the registered voters of a local government unit may directly propose and enact an ordinance. The support of 1,000 signatures of registered voters of Cebu City is needed to file a petition with the Sanggunian concerned proposing the adoption of the ordinance.
To promote the Road Revolution Campaign, we have organized an awareness run on May 29, 2011 called the Run for Green Life 2011, co-organized by Fair Trade and UC Law Class. We are currently gathering signatures in support of Road Revolution Campaign and a Petition booth shall be set-up at the race venue (University of Cebu-Banilad grounds) where people can sign the Petition before and after the run. Show your support by signing the petition.
I studied Bachelor of Laws in Manila and stayed there for years. While in Manila, I always longed to be in Cebu where the air is cleaner and the skies – clearer; where traveling is more convenient since traffic is not so bad. I am afraid that in years to come we may no longer experience a laid-back Cebu. Travelling from Banilad to Ayala Center Cebu will take almost two hours (Which is actually happening already) and we depend on mini oxygen tanks or Fresh Air canisters, like the ones in the infomercial of Clean Air Network’s campaign, just to breathe fresh air.
We are blessed to be living in the Queen City of the South where you can go to the beach in the morning, mountain climbing in the afternoon and malling or clubbing at night. Cebu City is indeed the perfect place to start a Road Revolution. The time to act is now. Signify your support and be one of the revolutionaries.

That is Tara’s dream. We need to make it our dream as well. If we want to have a better and safer Cebu City please show your support for the Road Revolution. Join and Support the run on May 29, 2011 (Run for Green Life 2011) and sign the Road Revolution Petition. Thanks and see you on Race Day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

REEL RUNNING FANS

I AM REEL RUNNER

My photo
Call / Text / Email: (0922)826-6865 docreelbontol@gmail.com