Friday, February 19, 2010

REEL RUNNER Core Training Exercise


My recent finish at the "Run with a Smile" 10K race was a surprise. Although I have been running sub-47 10K races last year, I was unsure of making the Sub-47 mark this time since I have not been training for the past few weeks. I was spending more time in the gym lifting weights to build muscle bulk. Advise from Coach Jim Saret pushed me to training my core muscles to improve running efficiency and balance. Luckily, one of my consultants shared with me his core training program which he got from the net. When I was not running, I was working hard on strengthening my core muscles. This, along with my recent discovery of CW-X tights and Newton shoes, helped me achieve my goal. 

This is my Core training program. 
  

(Video Courtesy of Dr. J.C.Aranas)

REMINDERS:
1. Core muscles should always be contracted and firm during the entire program.
2. Repeat the entire set of exercises 3x  with 2-3 minute rest in between sets.
3. Focus on maintaining a straight posture.
4. Use Medicine Balls with enough weight to lift 10 repetitions each exercise.
5. Once sets become less difficult, increase number of repetitions first before increasing MedBall weight.
6. Always maintain proper form.
7. Inhale when lifting the ball up and exhale when bringing the ball down.
8. Do dynamic stretches prior to this exercise routine like shoulder rotations, trunk rotations and leg swings.
 
These exercises supplemented with Plank Training after my workout constitute my trunk/ core training program. You may add sit-ups/ crunches/ leg raises to this regimen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

REEL RUNNING FANS

I AM REEL RUNNER

My photo
Call / Text / Email: (0922)826-6865 docreelbontol@gmail.com