Monday, February 22, 2010

The Secret to Pain-Free Knees


We all have experienced knee pains after running. I have endured excruciating pain when walking after races. I take glucosamine supplements regularly to provide slight relief of the pain. Glucosamine supplements do not actually reduce the pain sensation, instead they reduce the friction or trauma inside the joints. The pain normally lasts 2-3 days with glucosamine but can last for more than 7 days.

My knees hurt after every race until recently when I started to consistently run forefoot to midfoot. I have strengthened my legs to maintain the position with the help of drills taught to me by my coach. I do my drills and run intervals once a week to increase my speed.

My secret to running with pain-free knees? Perfect Running form. Not the shoes. Not the apparel. The FORM.
 
1. Slight lean forward
2. Arms flexed at the side swinging forward and backward
3. Head facing front approximately 20 meters
4. Straight and Upright posture (Strong core Muscles)
5. Lift your feet (flex your knees) after foot push off
6. Avoid overstriding
7. Swing thighs forward and land on your Forefoot (if not Midfoot)

(Reel Runner Race Form)
(Another Photo showing Veteran Sub-4 Marathoner Steve Ferraren in his Perfect Race Form.)
 
 (Land on your Forefoot or Midfoot. Lift your feet and flex your knees.)
 
(Swing thighs forward with knees flexed. Slight lean forward with upright posture.)
(Land on your midfoot or forefoot with slightly flexed knees and swing arms forward and back.)

If you are constantly troubled by painful knees after races, try training for the ideal running form. You will not only gain speed but enjoy the victory with pain-free knees as well. Good Luck.

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha... Thanks for the comment GBM... will be in Manila on March 3-5 and March 14-20... are there any races then? or do you have any training runs I can join? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Doc! Hehehehehehehe! At least I have a classmate of Glucosamine and chondroitin drinkers. I am begging my aunts to send me a bottle since the bottle here is expensive and contains only 30 tablets.

    I will return to racing this coming April! I am too busy!

    Doc, why don't you join the Amazing Kidney Race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI ling...You can buy glucosamine tablets at Ching palace parking lot for 1,700/bottle with 150 tablets...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to be a very notorious heel-striker until I switched to what I call my "ugly" "vibram fivefingers running" footwear. It forces me to run on my forefoot. It works wonders. I do not have to walk around for days with swollen knees after my long runs and I do not have to deal annoying muscle pains. FORM MATTERS... now I am learning the technical part of running...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Doc ... got this page from Dr. Renald Ramiro who told me about it. Thanks so much for the helpful tips. I just realized how I'm getting more serious about running (not to win really, but just to discover my body's potential ... and stay healthy). Now I want to improve my form so I can perform. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

REEL RUNNING FANS

I AM REEL RUNNER

My photo
Call / Text / Email: (0922)826-6865 docreelbontol@gmail.com