Sunday, February 21, 2010

Rotary Run Insights


The Rotary Run is one of Cebu's well attended Fun Runs. If it weren't for Derek Ramsey running topless in Manila, Cebuanos would not have flown to Manila to join the Century Tuna Race.

I just ran the new 15K course of the 2nd Rotary Run held at SM Cebu today. Race organizer, Kenneth "Asphalt Eater" Casquejo, made sure that this year's race would be bigger and better than last year. With more than 1,800 participants, runners flooded the busy streets of Mabolo, Lahug and Jones as these runners aimed to achieve new personal records. Kids dashed to the finish line as this year's event did not forget to include the younglings. 

The race started on time and caused me to run from the rear of the pack since I came in late. I heard the starting gun fire as I was still preparing my running gear. I ran fast but controlled since I was not able to warm-up for the race. My muscles were cold and my joints were stiff when I started my ascend towards JY Square, Lahug. Instead of climbing at 4:40 pace, I ran at 5:10 pace and dodged every runner in front of me running at slightly lower pace. As my muscles warmed-up and my joints loosened I then increased pace to 4:30 as the course cleared of other runners. I also did short tempo runs of 150-200 meters at 4:20 pace when the course was flat or downhill. I also could not help but smile everytime I hear strangers shouting "Reel Runner" when I passed them during the race. I felt my thigh muscles tighten on my way back to SM causing me to slow down and run at 4:40 pace. I descended towards SM at 4:30 pace and finished number 48 of all 15K runners despite starting late and from the rear of the pack. My unofficial time is 1 hour 15 minutes 38 seconds and was enough to land me to the Top 5 in the Executive Category.

Overall, the race was good but my performance was not. I could have shaved at least a minute of my unofficial time if only I started at the front and had time to warm-up. Anyway, Congratulations to Kenneth Casquejo and the other organizers of the 2nd Rotary Run for a job well done.

Here are photos of friends who participated in the event. 
Reel and Dams
Dr.Junia and Dr.J.C.Aranas
Physician Runners of Cebu
CVGH Family
Dr.Entera
Reel with Dr.Aranas

7 comments:

  1. they ran out of WATER and BURGER at the finish line! what are we paying for???

    ReplyDelete
  2. They actually handed out jollibee burgers later... they had to get more burgers when they ran out... SOrry about the water too. As you can see... I was wearing a hydration belt... thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really think that runners who need a lot of hydration should bring their own water/sports drink. after that experience from a previous run wherein water ran out in the water stations, i brought my own hydration pack and left an extra jug of water in the car for the after-run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA3.. SORRY FOR NOT JOINING ROTARY RUN AND WE RAN AT CENTURY TUNA NOT FOR TOPLESS DEREK RAMSEY KY WLA MI KAILA ANANG TAWHANA...BUT FOR ME, I WENT THERE FOR THE HALF MARATHON...MAS NINDOT PAKO MAG TOPLESS KISA ANANG IMUNG GI INGON DEREK RAMSEY... WLA MAN GANI CGURO NA NIDAGAN..

    ReplyDelete
  5. we still don't have our singlets. what a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. twas my first time joining the rotary run despite my being a rotarian. and my first time joining fun run too. twas indeed a very nice experience. lookin forward for the next run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. was disappointed. . . because:

    1) race packet distribution was chaotic. There was no system on how they distributed the kits.

    2) ran out of singlets. though for me, I dont care about the singlets coz I prefer to run in my old comfy signlets, and Im there for the run. But a lot of my frens n acquaintances were really dismayed , especially the first timers who were dying to have their 1st singlets.

    3)Organizers were a bit late. I went to sm @ 4AM knowing that announced guntime was @5:30AM , and only the SM guards were there.

    4)becoz organizers were a bit late, they started the race in a hurry, not even a 20 or 10 second countdown to gun time. people were still lining up for the courtesy booth, looking for a spot to park, and suddenly out of no where,to most runners surprise, a cracking sound in d midst of all the chaos, it was the race gun . . .

    5) not enuf marshals,some runners have to wave off vehicles forcing their way into most street crossing. try this Link below,

    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=679854&id=1606969876

    6)WATER WATER WATER @ D finish line. where have all the water (SUMMIT) gone? I dont care about the burger or the branded water, MCWD water will do . . . but nada. . .

    Maka tagam. Knowing that its the SECOND rotary run.

    Im no elite runner, but Im an avid local cebu runner. Did most local fun runs in the past year, but this was a disappointment. Hope to see a better THIRD rotary run. Dili ko ma tagam, pero luoy ang mga 1st timers . . .

    ReplyDelete

REEL RUNNING FANS

I AM REEL RUNNER

My photo
Call / Text / Email: (0922)826-6865 docreelbontol@gmail.com