Sunday, February 14, 2010

MIDFOOT Running with Newtons


I smile when I run past friends and when unfamiliar runners shout "REEL RUNNER" during races. I smile when other runners wave at me. But I never smile when I see a camera in front of me during races. Photos never look good when taken with your mouth open. NEVER. Try it. Compare your photos taken with your mouth open and with your mouth closed during races. You will see the difference. 




I joined the "RUN with a SMILE" race this morning and prayed for a SUB-47 10K finish. I am not in my best running condition. I had not ran more than 20K/week for almost a month and gained almost 10 lbs. of muscle in the gym. I have been a GYM RAT since early this year when I transferred to Holiday Gym. I enjoy the new environment. I started swimming in their pool and trained diligently with CORE exercises. RUNS? Not more than 2x a week. I never use the treadmill. I get bored faster than you can say "Holiday Gym and Spa".
I was aiming for a SUB-47 finish since all my 10K runs last year had SUB-47 finish times. My weight is a big factor as well as my lack of mileage. During the race, I easily noted the heavy feeling of running uphill from TESDA to JY Square. I was panting  really hard but I had not lost pace. I was still running a 4'30"/KM pace. My legs seem stronger and my trunk is more stable. If only water glasses had not ran out on the way back, I would not have lost a few seconds when I stopped at water stations and asked for water straight from the pitcher. I was running strong at the Waterfront area on my way back to the finish line. I crossed the finish line 46 mins and 38 seconds after the race started. I was ecstatic. Despite my lack of mileage and obvious weight gain, I still managed to maintain my SUB-47 finish. 
This victory I can attribute to 2 things. First, my shoes. I used my NEWTON MOTION Trainers for the 1st time during a race. They were phenomenal. I never ran like this before. Lifting your feet and landing lightly was never this easy with my other running shoes. I bought my Newton trainers early December and had to slowly get accustomed with the actuator lugs. I am lucky enough to have been a MIDFOOT Strike runner when I started using them. (WARNING: These shoes are not for HEEL STRIKERS. If you are using the heel strike and are using Newtons, I suggest you practice midfoot/ forefoot running or you change your shoes. Improper use of Newton shoes can cause injuries to your knees and calves since the heel area DO NOT have enough cushioning to soften your heel strike.) I slowly increased my mileage using my Newtons from 3K then to 5K and, just recently, 10K. It took me almost 2 months to get used to the feel of running Newtons. I waited until I can complete a sore-free (Calf) 5K before trying to run a 10K. My knees  did not sore either. My CW-X tights  corrected my leg alignment while my midfoot strike and Newtons reduced the  impact in my knees during the race. All of which relieved me of knee pains during and after my race.
Second, CORE STRENGTH. I started training my core muscles after Coach Jim Saret explained to eager Cebuanos the significance of core strength to your running performance. Better form, efficient muscles and stronger runs are its benefits. I do MedBall Core Exercises for warm-up sessions and Plank exercises for cool down during PRT at the gym. My Core Muscles (abdominals, obliques and lower back muscles) never felt this strong ever. I quit doing sit-ups, side bends and cruches to give more time doing my MedBall Program and Plank Exercises every workout session. It is not as boring as the other exercises which works real well for me.
Strong core muscles plus a good running form (with the help of my Newtons) pushed me to achieving my goal. I will be better prepared for my succeeding races as I will start training for distance running this month and gain more mileage. 

REEL RUNNING Formula = Proper Form + Adequate Mileage
+ Speed training

No comments:

Post a Comment

REEL RUNNING FANS

I AM REEL RUNNER

My photo
Call / Text / Email: (0922)826-6865 docreelbontol@gmail.com